Your PTA Donations At Work
You, our Whittier families, make our community great. Your generous support of our Annual Give Campaign and our biennial Auction allows us to fill gaps in the Whittier budget. With these crucial funds, we're able to provide supports for our students and staff, as well as provide school-day enrichment and community events.
In November, 2016, the PTA Membership approved funds for the following projects. Thank you Whittier families for your support!
1. Purchase additional Fountas and Pinnell Benchmark Assessment System kits in support of Whittier’s literacy efforts.
The F&P kits are in and on budget ($6,500)! Whittier's Continuous School Improvement Plan (CSIP) emphasizes literacy, and the Whittier PTA provided a necessary tool to assist teachers in meeting student literacy goals. With the purchase of additional kits, there is now a complete assessment system in every homeroom, increasing assessment efficiency and instructional accuracy. Teachers assess student reading levels three times a year (at minimum) using the F&P kits. F&P assessments track growth and set reading goals related to a child's reading rate, comprehension skills, and fluency. They also enable students to progress at their own rate, support differentiated instruction, and provide details to share with families regarding each child's growth.
2. Purchase equipment to upgrade the stage sound system.
The sound system upgrade is complete and nearly $600 under budget ($4,830)! With approved PTA funds, Whittier purchased new wireless microphones, suspended choral microphones, and a mixer that enables input from a computer or mobile device for audio amplification. The upgrade ensures quality technical support for many valuable Whittier events and programs, including Performing Arts student performances (grade-level and all-school); the annual musical; assemblies; family movie nights; the 5th Grade Graduation; and the End-of-Year Awards Ceremony.
3. Coordinate updates to the playground, including blacktop seal coat, updated blacktop paint, RULER signage, Snorkel repair, and the purchase of 2-3 picnic tables.
This project is slated for the spring. Work is being coordinated with SPS and is not to exceed $10,000.
PTA Budget Breakdown
How are PTA dollars spent? Below is a breakdown of how the Whittier PTA allocated its money to support our school in the 2016-2017 school year. You may also be interested to view an overview of Whittier’s budget process, which is currently underway for the 2017-18 school year.
Staffing Grants – 59% of the dollars go to:
- ½ (of 1) day of Instrumental Music (4th/5th Grades)
- 1 (of 3) days of Nursing
- Two (of 4) days of Literacy Specialist
- ½-day (of 3 days) of Library
Classroom and School Support – 15% of the dollars go to:
- Funding for Art, PE, Performing Arts
- Library Fund
- Safety Patrol
- Staff Discretionary Fund
Community (Events, Outreach & Support) – 15% of the dollars go to:
- Family Directory
- Fall Carnival
- Family Nights (pilot year)
- Reflections Art Program
- Ice Skating
- Movie Nights
- Science Fair
- Spring Fling (pilot year)
- Field Day
- 5th Grade Celebration
- Family Support
- New Family & Community Outreach
- Fish Tank
School Day Enrichment – 4% of the dollars go to:
- Enrichment Assemblies
Flexible Funds for New Opportunities (aka "Funding Proposals") – 4%
- Used to fund approved events, projects, or programs suggested by the Whittier Community OR any unexpected PTA expenses.
Administration, Communication & Fees – 3% of the dollars go to:
- PTA-related Fees (incorporation, bank, business license, charitable solicitations, gambling license)
- Electronic Newsletter
- Printing and Publications
- Awards & Gifts (Golden Acorn, retirement gifts for staff)