What is a "Head Teacher"?
Sara Dowsing, Whittier's first Head Teacher, presented at the September 2015 PTA Community Meeting, answering the question: What is a Head Teacher?
By way of background, Whittier Staff voted to fund a full-time Head Teacher for the 2015-16 school year as an alternative to a part-time Vice Principal, the position funded by Seattle Public Schools. Advantages of the full-time Head Teacher center around the consistent presence of another staff member in the building, and include:
- Consistent support for students every day
- Reliable classroom assistance and dedication to teacher growth strategies
- Increased before and after-school staff support at the bus stop and crosswalks
- Additional whole-school support when the Principal is out of the building
- Consistent presence on building committees targeting math and social/emotional programming
- Dedicated staff member to establish community relationships in support of student and teacher needs
"This position provides support to students and staff on several
fronts. I look forward to working with all Whittier families and staff
members to establish the value of this position, and my place, in the
Whittier community — one that I care about so deeply," said Ms. Dowsing.
What's New? Read the latest Head Teacher Newsletter: