Skip To ContentSkip To Content

    8-6-20 

    BLT Meeting Minutes

    Teams Norms for BLT members: 

    Join with muted microphone

    Turn your video camera on so we can see each other 

    Raise your hand when you would like to talk – Identify yourself when you speak 

    Be respectful and courteous in chat

    Stay in one space during meeting – don’t move around with computer

    Stay professional, no distractions

    Be patient with tech, yourself and others

    Stay positive during and after meeting


    Present:

    Stephanie Clark: Facilitator

    Rebecca Adamson: Non-BLT member Taking Minutes

    Chat Monitor: Jared Ogle

    BLT Members Elisa McCulloch, Deanna Baldi, Morgan Leming, Monica Ganyard, Anna Hume, Katie Lyden, Cindy Lewan,   Absent – Brennan Buck and Stacie Barrett

     Present Members from Staff:Jason Sciarrone,  Victoria Kemery, Jason Sciarrone, Jessica Brodland, Morgan Leming, Trilby Cohen, Sarah Newcomb, Katie Sowers, Kathleen Roll, Huey Doo Chin


    Check in:  How is everyone doing? 

    Attendees introduced themselves and shared their role as well as how they are doing at this time.


    Announcement of District Platforms:

    Schoology 6-12 (maybe 5) & K-5 SeeSaw and Teams (Training and setting up clear and consistent communication will be a focus of our TRI Days.) 

    Possibly asking 5th grade to start to use Schoology for transition to middle school

    • Jared: 4th & 5th grade teachers have worked hard to build up their Schoology platform, it would be challenging for all that work to be put aside and have o learn a new platform (SEESAW).

    • Anna Hume: Parent point of view: SeeSaw was by far the easiest platform to navigate and work from.

    • Baldi What additionally will we have access to with the district purchase of SeeSaw?
      --When we get the licenses you will have 19 additional teachers will have access to your work, a total of 20 teachers. Specialists will be able to post directly to SeeSaw. Parents can comment on student work through the parent app. Will need education on difference between student sign in and parent sign in. District is providing PD and creating videos for students and parents.  IPADS work well with See Saw (Still waiting for more direction from district.) 

    • Teams will be the platform for online meetings. Zoom will not be used.


    K-1 gets iPads, 2nd grade gets iPads with keyboards, 3-5 gets a laptop device.

    • Students will be encouraged to use district devices so everyone is consistent.

    • When and how will devices be distributed? How can parents/PTA help?
      --SPS is prioritizing high needs schools first. The hope is to get them before school starts. 

    • Could PTA have a group responsible for facilitating tech help?
      --Possibly have PTA be available for tech help/food distribution/library during lunch hours on Fridays. 

    • It would be great to have a device to loan to families if they need to turn in a broken device. 

    • It would be helpful for the iPads to have a stand/holder so kids are not having to hold the device the entire time. 

    • Can teachers create ‘classrooms’ on Teams so they have more control during online lessons? 

    • We are looking for ways to find time for grade level teams to work together to create a consistent program across the grade levels.


    Live Learning Schedule: 
    Share and discuss what has been proposed to the school board

    https://www.seattleschools.org/UserFiles/Servers/Server_543/File/District/Departments/School%20Board/20-21%20agendas/20200805_PACKET_ADA%20for%20Posting_Revised_Updated%2020200804.pdf

    • The plan is to have significantly more live learning than in the spring. There is concern that WiFi will fail due to overloading the system. One solution is to have a back-up parent volunteer or support staff online in case a teacher’s WiFi shuts down. 

    • Attention span and screen tim:  40 min seems to be about as much time as kids can handle before they check out. Scheduling committee will take a look at ways to make that work. 

    • How can teachers supervise the breakout rooms? Different ages will have different concerns. 

    • Everyone agrees that SPS needs to demand better WiFi for families . 

    • Are we making sure that every single family and student has access to online learning?
      --We worked really hard at ensuring our families that needed help got it and that will again be a huge priority. 

    • Did the district have any suggestions on intervention scheduling or IEP minutes?
      --They are looking at PD for helping kids work on their own while online learning to allow for interventions. 

    • Will it be possible to issue textbooks to students (math social studies, CCC materials, science manipulatives, etc.)?
      --We can pass out grade level texts when we pass out technology. 

    • The adaptive math curriculum requires so many activities that require paper copies. The math workbook was only used 1/3 of the time for 3rd grade. How can we get printed materials into kid’s hands?
      --We hope we can still organize pick-ups for materials. 

    • Waiting on a response from the district regarding a better math curriculum that could work better with online learning. 

    • What will school supply lists look like this year?
      --A list will be shared with families with grade level home learning supplies and in school learning supplies tomorrow. We are asking families to get their own supplies this year, the school will not collect money this year for supplies.  Some things can be added to family school supply lists or ask PTA to purchase and distribute.

    • Having a regular distribution day/time so families know and can plan when to stop by school for distribution of different things. PTA leaders are working on coming up with a consistent day and time. 

    • How can we build in or flex in schedule for dealing with student behavior issues / students who are struggling with online etiquette? How can we help those sessions be more effective? Will there be one on one screen time to allow for that?
      --Possibly put two adults in every classroom.
      --Stations in classrooms and working in smaller groups.
      --SPED staff could be a secondary person helping with pulling groups and to help with individual groups, making a consistent schedule to help their kids with classroom management but also working with all kids.
      --Behaviors can be taught with weekly one on one meetings.
      --Asking students to share what their struggles are individually rather that asking kids to share with the entire group. 

    --Another good example of how important it is for teachers having control over the Teams meetings. Being able to turn off the chat, etc.
    --Hopefully there will be some PD on how to manage online classes.

    • 50 min for math will not be a teacher teaching for the entire 50 min. There will be some time for teaching and some time for quiet work time within that 50 minutes block. 

    • What is the rest of the class doing while the teacher is in the break-out room?
      --It would be preferred to have an IA in the room as well to help keep kids engaged.
      --Also offer teacher office hours during independent reading time. 

    • District will have to approve the schedule, then the building will create a schedule that will follow district perimeters.
      --Can we work off the schedule that was made in the spring?
      -- Is there flexibility with staggering?
      --It is important to set up a schedule that will allow for small group instruction for all kids.
      --Set very clear expectations for students and staff. Strategies for taking notes, expectations for how to respond when spoken to.
      --Set up norms for learning and engaging strategies. 

    • Could PTA have a team of people that are willing to go into homes and help create a space for kids to learn and work? Can PTA volunteers help define a learning area?
      --That would help set expectations and give a personal space for each kid to learn.
      -- A video could be created to help families make a defined learning space for their student. “Top 5 things needed to create a space”  

    • Ask families who needs desks or a crate or rug to create a space. 

    • Form a PTA committee for student support? We have surplus desks in surplus, can we loan those to students that need them? Is anyone checking indoor air quality (especially if teachers are being asked to teach online from the classroom)?


    Hattie’s Distant Learning Handbook 6 principles (unfinished principles):

    1) Engage in Grade Level Work and Curriculum (Jared)

    2) Focus on Depth of Instruction (Deanna)

    3) Prioritize Content (Morgan)

    4) Ensure Inclusion (Elisa)

    5) Identify Learning Gaps and address using grade level work and curriculum (Anna)

    6) Capitalize Commonalities (Katie & Monica)

    Staff listed above will dig deeper into each section. (see attached)


    Pre- Tri Day Time:  Potential Committees: 

    This is just a starting point:  

    (1) Scheduling Committee: Monica Ganyard & Elisa McCulloch are interested in participating

    (2) Family Engagement Committee: Morgan Leming is interested in participating

    Can we develop a common way that teachers will introduce themselves to their new kids and families that feels personal and lays the foundation for building those important relationships? Having a group work on common expectations. Norms for online learning engagement? Spend the first portion of school year practicing (while waiting for common devices to arrive)

    (3) Social Emotional/PBIS Committee:
    Having a group work on common expectations. Norms for online learning engagement? Spend the first portion of school year practicing (while waiting for common devices to arrive)

    (4) Grade Level Time to Develop Consistent and Equitable Curriculum and Processes: 

    (5) Racial Equity Committee – How do we lead for equity and social justice during remote learning? Talking with EDI about purchasing books

    (6) Staff Wellness Committee:  

    Approval to use intervention budget with students and families furthest away from educational justice before school starts:   

    Trilby – 1st Grade Families – Reaching out to families that were not able to connect or engage consistently in online learning. 

    • Can we get in front of family support before school starts?
      --PTA has agreed to buy school supply kits for kids that need them.

    • Will teachers be able to get back in to building to make packets and possibly teach from the classroom? Will the district allow that?
      --It sounds like the district would prefer teachers teach from their classroom but have not agreed on that. After the 15th teachers will be allowed in the building, but not sure at what level. 

    • Will we have to do a temp check / symptom check before we enter the building?  

    • What happens if we have symptoms?

    • Certain programs/lessons look different on each device. Will K-2 teachers have iPads so they can see what their students are seeing? 

    • WK says that childcare will be allowed in all 68 buildings, special ed and childcare has been slated for Whittier depending on a site visit.  

    • What are ways paras can help? 

    • How are we tracking student engagement / attendance expectation?
      --The district will require attendance be taken for students but it will look different this year. It will focus on student engagement 

    • What will Fill Us In looks like this year?
      --Fill Us In will be virtual this year. More info will on that later…..


    What would be the best things for our TLC and our ET to support staff this upcoming year?  

    TL days and I have requested an additional four hours of collaboration time from PTA.    

    Suggestions from chat listed below:

    • Teacher Leaders: Family Engagement; Identify power standards and connect them to CCC and Math activities; Help to define Essential Understandings for ELA and Math; Instead of sub days, using that time to perhaps pay for extra collaboration time to align curriculum; From a parental point of view, I feel like being available to teacher’s time-away without leaving the kids hanging; Are there district guidelines as to how Substitutes will even work?; Grade level consistent and equitable curriculum; Common assessments and data; I would like to support Seesaw learning with trainings; CLLS could create drafts of common expectations and lessons for being online learners; They could also roll out grade level appropriate lessons.

    • Educational Tech Support: Ed Tec. will be critical and possibly the TLC skill sets can dovetail with that to help teachers with the online platforms being used.


    It would be helpful to have a timeline starting with August 12 to help with planning. Meeting in small group committees, then meet as a BLT on August 24th.