News and Events
Whitman Middle School's music program presents two holiday concerts in December. The Dec. 9 orchestra and choir concert begins at 7 p.m. and features 6th, 7th and 8th grade orchestras and 6th grade choir. The orchestra will be conducted by Brittany Newell, choir conducted by Aimee Mell.
The Dec. 10 Winter Band Concert begins at 7 p.m. and features the Jazz Band, combined Beginning/Intermediate Bands, Concert Band, and Symphonic Band. The bands will be conducted by Joel Orsen.
Both concerts are free. There's also a bake sale to support the Friends of Whitman Music and the Performing Arts Program.
Whitman Middle School is at 9201 15th Ave NW Seattle. Concerts will be in the Auditorium.
On Fridays, an extra helper is always nice. Helpers wipe down tables before and after lunch, help kids open difficult containers, assist with disposal of garbage, recyclables and compostables, and keep the noise level respectable. And as the Lunch Room moves into the feasting phase, you could sit down and have lunch with your Wildcat(s).
Throughout the year, Whittier Elementary PTA tries hard to keep students and their families informed of everything that’s happening at the school. We do this in numerous ways. Here’s a reminder of where to look for the latest Whittier news.
- Kidmail: Every event, before- and after-school program, and news of any kind affecting the school goes home in Kidmail. PTA news generally goes home in Kidmail on Thursdays.
- The WildChat is Whittier’s weekly email newsletter, put together by our volunteer WildChat Editor and sent out on Thursdays. It includes news and events, links to more information, and calls for volunteers.
- Whittier website: Our volunteer Website Editor puts all events and news on the website, and updates it daily if necessary. Instead of checking the website on a regular basis, you can receive daily email digests alerting you to every news post and calendar item. Here’s how:
- Go to www.whittieres.seattleschools.org and log into your Seattle Public Schools account.
- Click on My Account, then Personal Settings, then Notifications.
- Under Recent Activity Notifications, you can sign up to receive a daily email of updates to the website, including news posts and calendar items.
- Under Setup Daily Digests, you can elect to receive a daily morning email of Whittier events for that day or the next day.
Here is the list of all Whittier staff for 2013-14, including teachers (and their room numbers) and office and building staff:
- Melissa Schweitzer – Principal
- Melissa Ritter – Assistant Principal
- Mary Pat Bowman – Administrative Secretary
- Nancy Cutting – Office Assistant
- Joan McDonagh – Nurse (M, T, Th)
- Stephanie Turner-Busiel – Multi-Arts, Rm. 102
- Carrie Narducci – Art, Rm. 103
- (Sub) – Kindergarten, Rm. 201
- Kelsey Milligan – Kindergarten, Rm. 202
- Jamie Slaven – Kindergarten, Rm. 203
- Gail Smart – Kindergarten, Rm. 204
- Mary Ann Crawford – 1st (Spectrum), Rm. 206
- Shannon Mayo & Julie Childers – 1st, Rm. 207
- Mariluz Pembe – 1st, Rm. 208
- Margy Newton – 1st, Rm. 209
- Kelsey Green – 2nd (Spectrum), Rm. 211
- Heather Saddler – 2nd, Rm. 210
- Darlene Eng-Kozu & Susan Niemann – 2nd, Rm. 212
- Victoria Kemery – 3rd, Rm. 303
- Jill McGrath – 3rd (Spectrum), Rm. 213
- Mary Jo Maddeford – 3rd, Rm. 214
- Elizabeth Engel – 4th (Spectrum), Rm. 302
- Miranda Shoop – 4th, Rm. 304
- Sara Dowsing – 4th, Rm. 307
- Julia Ward – 5th, Rm. 305
- Gillian Gordon-Smith – 5th (Spectrum), Rm. 30
- Bryan Pule – P.E.
- Mary Bannister – Librarian
- Elisa McCulloch – Resource
- Karen Green – Resource IA
- Randall Davidson – Instrumental Music (Wed PM), Stage
- Heidi Jaehning – Kitchen Manager
- Than Sibounhevan – Head Custodian
Whittier serves a nutritious breakfast every morning beginning at 8:20 a.m. to anyone who wishes to purchase it (besides those who qualify for free and reduced-price meals). In addition to a different daily entrée on the menu, students may also select from a variety of low-sugar cereals, 100% whole wheat toast, fresh and canned fruits or 100% fruit juice, and low-fat white milk.
Cost for breakfast is $1.75. Students can use their pre-paid meal account, or pay cash or with a check made out to Nutrition Services. For more information, see the Seattle Public Schools web page on School Meals.