News and Events
Traffic safety continues to be a problem around our school. Cars frequently park in the No Parking zones, which include the marked bus zones along 13th Avenue NW. (Incredibly, some drivers have been seen moving those safety cones out of the street and parking there anyway.)
Student crossing guards have noted that many cars park within 20 feet of a crosswalk, which impairs sightlines for pedestrians, and is illegal.
PARENTS ARE ENCOURAGED TO FOLLOW ALL TRAFFIC RULES TO KEEP OUR STUDENTS SAFE!
Seattle Public Schools has a new requirement that all school volunteers complete an online course on Adult Sexual Misconduct Prevention and sign off on the Volunteer Hand Book. Existing volunteers have until the end of the school year to view the Adult Sexual Misconduct Prevention video and complete the online course. After course completion, volunteers will receive an online certificate to either email to the school office or print out and bring in.
All volunteers are required to read and sign the Volunteer Handbook at the time they sign up to volunteer.
Volunteers are required to take the online course on Adult Sexual Misconduct Prevention and sign the Volunteer Agreement only once, but are required to fill out a WATCH background check form every year (available in the front office).
Whittier serves a nutritious breakfast every morning beginning at 8:20 a.m. to anyone who wishes to purchase it (besides those who qualify for free and reduced-price meals). In addition to a different daily entrée on the menu, students may also select from a variety of low-sugar cereals, 100% whole wheat toast, fresh and canned fruits or 100% fruit juice, and low-fat white milk.
Cost for breakfast is $1.75. Students can use their pre-paid meal account, or pay cash or with a check made out to Nutrition Services. For more information, see the Seattle Public Schools web page on School Meals.
Throughout the year, Whittier Elementary PTA tries hard to keep students and their families informed of everything that’s happening at the school. We do this in numerous ways. Here’s a reminder of where to look for the latest Whittier news.
- Kidmail: Every event, before- and after-school program, and news of any kind affecting the school goes home in Kidmail. PTA news generally goes home in Kidmail on Thursdays.
- The WildChat is Whittier’s weekly email newsletter, put together by our volunteer WildChat Editor and sent out on Thursdays. It includes news and events, links to more information, and calls for volunteers.
- Whittier website: Our volunteer Website Editor puts all events and news on the website, and updates it daily if necessary. Instead of checking the website on a regular basis, you can receive daily email digests alerting you to every news post and calendar item. Here’s how:
- Go to www.whittieres.seattleschools.org and log into your Seattle Public Schools account.
- Click on My Account, then Personal Settings, then Notifications.
- Under Recent Activity Notifications, you can sign up to receive a daily email of updates to the website, including news posts and calendar items.
- Under Setup Daily Digests, you can elect to receive a daily morning email of Whittier events for that day or the next day.