Main navigation

Get Involved

Building Leadership Team

Building Leadership Team (BLT)

The Whittier Building Leadership Team (BLT) is a committee that serves as the overseer of the Continuous School Improvement Plan (CSIP) and professional development program, and as facilitator for the development of the school budget.

BLT committee members are responsible for gathering input from and representing their constituents in the best interest of the school as a whole. Members serve staggered two-year terms.

The committee acts as an advisory body that makes recommendations to the Principal or Teachers for final approval.

2021-22 Committee Members

Parent Representatives
Anna Hume, Kelsey Toppenberg
Parent Representatives can be reached at WhittierBLTParents@gmail.com

Primary (K-2nd) Classroom Teachers
Morgan Leming (2nd grade teacher) and Heidi Hansen (1st grade teacher)

Intermediate (3rd-5th) Classroom Teachers
Travis Peterson (3rd grade teacher) and Jared Ogle (4th grade teacher)

Certified Specialists
Brennan Buck

SPED Representative
Elisa McCulloch

SEAOP Represented Classified
Monica Ganyard

Administrative Team
Principal Cindy Watters

2021-22 Meeting Minutes

6/6/22 BLT Meeting Minutes 

Invited/Members:  
Principal: Cindy Watters 
Parent Reps: Kelsey Toppenberg, Anna Hume 
Primary (K-2nd) Reps: Morgan Leming (2nd) and Heidi Hansen (1st) 
Inter mediate (3rd-5th) Reps: Travis Peterson (3rd) and Jared Ogle (4th) 
Certified Specialists Rep: Brennan Buck 
SPED / RR Rep: Elisa McCulloch  
SAEOP Rep: Monica Ganyard 
Recorder: Rebecca Adamson – Non Voting Attendee

Absent: all present 

__________________________________________________________________________________ 

Teams Norms for BLT members:   

•Join with muted microphone.  

•Turn your video camera on so we can see each other.   

•Raise your hand when you would like to talk? – Identify yourself when you speak.  

•Be respectful and courteous in chat. 

Agenda: 

  •  PD Proposal for 2022-23 
  •  Committees for 2022-23 
  •  BLT Members 2022-23 
  •  TLC Leaders 2022-22 

________________________________________________________________________________________ 

Minutes: 

PD Proposal for 2022-23 

  • Areas of focus:  
    •  Math Adoption Implementation 
    •  Strengthening PBIS 
    •  Equitable Instructional Strategies 
  •  Watters is working on staff meetings counting towards clock hours 

Committees for 2022-23 

  •  School Events/Assemblies: Veteran’s Day; MLK; etc 
  •  Social Committee 
  •  Safety Committee 
  •  Student Leadership 
  •  PBIS 
  •  Race & Equity 
  •  PTA Staff Representative 

TLC Leaders 2022-23 

Math / Tech: Morgan Leming (K-2) & Collin Provence 3-5) 

PBIS: Jessica Worotikan 

Race & Equity: Sarah DiTullio 

BLT Members 2022-23 

Principal: Cindy Watters 
Parent Reps: Kelsey Toppenberg, TBD 
Primary (K-2nd) Reps: Shannon Mayo (2nd) and Heidi Hansen (1st) 
Intermediate (3rd-5th) Reps: Travis Peterson (3rd) and Jeremy Keener (5th) 
Certified Specialists Rep: Brennan Buck 
SPED / RR Rep: TBD 
Classified (SAEOP / Para Rep): Rebecca Adamson 
Recorder: Monica Ganyard – Non Voting Attendee.  

5/2/22 BLT Meeting Minutes 

Invited/Members:  
Principal: Cindy Watters 
Parent Reps: Kelsey Toppenberg, Anna Hume 
Primary (K-2nd) Reps: Morgan Leming (2nd) and Heidi Hansen (1st) 
Inter mediate (3rd-5th) Reps: Travis Peterson (3rd) and Jared Ogle (4th) 
Certified Specialists Rep: Brennan Buck 
SPED / RR Rep: Elisa McCulloch  
SAEOP Rep: Monica Ganyard 
Recorder: Rebecca Adamson – Non-Voting Attendee.  

Absent: Anna Hume 

____________________________________________________________________________________ 

Teams Norms for BLT members:   

•Join with muted microphone.  

•Turn your video camera on so we can see each other.   

•Raise your hand when you would like to talk? – Identify yourself when you speak.  

•Be respectful and courteous in chat. 

Agenda: 

  •  Last week of school schedule 
  •  TRI Day Plan for 2022-23 
  •  PD Plan for 2022-23 
  •  Seeking a parent rep for the 22-23 school year 

________________________________________________________________________________________ 

Minutes: 

Last week of school schedule 

  • Many activities planned for the last week of school. The BLT agreed to have the Wacky Wednesday schedule all week to allow for afternoon festivities and to have the specialists help with 5th grade celebrations. 

TRI Day Plan for 2022-23 

  •  Discussed proposed TRI Day agenda. Give ample time for collaboration. Many positive remarks for shorter meetings, then breaking away to complete a task, then get back together for the next meeting. 

PD Plan for 2022-23 

  •  A PD calendar will be planned to give teachers 20-30 hours of clock hours. Build in time to work on report cards. 

Process for replacing reps on BLT 

  •  Current reps will work on finding replacements to invite to the June meeting 

Misc 

  •  Could Focus classroom get their own PCP time? 
  • Building in time for Class Configurations 

04/04/2022 BLT Meeting Minutes

Invited/Members:  
Principal: Cindy Watters 
Parent Reps: Kelsey Toppenberg, Anna Hume 
Primary (K-2nd) Reps: Morgan Leming (2nd) and Heidi Hansen (1st) 
Inter mediate (3rd-5th) Reps: Travis Peterson (3rd) and Jared Ogle (4th) 
Certified Specialists Rep: Brennan Buck 
SPED / RR Rep: Elisa McCulloch  
SAEOP Rep: Monica Ganyard 
Recorder: Rebecca Adamson – Non-Voting Attendee.  

Absent: all present 


Teams Norms for BLT members:   

•Join with muted microphone.  

•Turn your video camera on so we can see each other.   

•Raise your hand when you would like to talk? – Identify yourself when you speak.  

•Be respectful and courteous in chat. 

Agenda: 

  •  End of Year Calendar
  •  Start of School Supplies

End of Year Calendar 

  • BLT discussed end of year events (these dates / events will be shared soon!)
  • For the next meeting we will start working on the calendar and have it ready before we leave in June.  
  • When planning, the BLT will operate and plan like things are ‘normal’
  • Some of the old events might be back 
  • The possibility of field trips returning next year was also discussed. Planning ahead for these will also be important.

Start of School Supplies 

  • After spring break – grade level teams will meet to determine their needs.
  • Kids will only need to come to school with a backpack/water bottle 
  • PTA will work with room parents to help each teacher/specialist/SPED come up with an amazon wish list 
  • Classrooms can go back to sharing supplies 
  • BLT Parents supported the idea of a class wish list, knowing that it will go directly to the classroom and their student  
  • The office will also stock basic supplies.

Misc

Auction Question 

  • Can teachers auction off items?  
    • Yes, but the building is not available. Staff who would like to contribute and experience will need to offer something off-site. 

03/07/2022 BLT Meeting Minutes

Invited/Members:  
Principal: Cindy Watters 
Parent Reps: Kelsey Toppenberg, Anna Hume 
Primary (K-2nd) Reps: Morgan Leming (2nd) and Heidi Hansen (1st) 
Inter mediate (3rd-5th) Reps: Travis Peterson (3rd) and Jared Ogle (4th) 
Certified Specialists Rep: Brennan Buck 
SPED / RR Rep: Elisa McCulloch  
SAEOP Rep: Monica Ganyard 
Recorder: Rebecca Adamson – Non-Voting Attendee.  

Absent: Anna Hume 


Teams Norms for BLT members:   

•Join with muted microphone.  

•Turn your video camera on so we can see each other.   

•Raise your hand when you would like to talk? – Identify yourself when you speak.  

•Be respectful and courteous in chat. 

Agenda: 

  •  Discuss the PTA Flexible Staffing Grant to support 0.5 Reading Intervention & 0.5 PCP Teacher 
  •  Discretionary Spending Options 
  •  Classroom Configuration Option 

Whittier Budget Overview 

Discuss the PTA Flexible Staffing Grant to support 0.5 Reading Intervention & 0.5 PCP Teacher 

  • PTA is considering funding these positions because Whittier is a Tier 4 school which means we do not receive the same resources as other schools – specifically those with Tier 2 intervention support.

Discretionary Spending Options 

  • Whittier has a limited amount of discretionary dollars. The options include buying up the nurse for a half day, giving us two full days of nursing or leaving more money for supplies and classroom support.

Classroom Configuration Option 

  • The BLT is recommending two options for staff to vote on.
  • Option 1
    • Kinder – 4 sections @ 18/class
    • 2/3 Split
    • G4 – 2 sections @ 26/class
  • Option 2
    • Kinder – 4 sections @ 10/class
    • No Splits
    • G4 – 2 sections @ 26/class
    • G5 – 2 sections @ 31/class

02/07/2022 BLT Meeting Minutes

Invited/Members:  
Principal: Cindy Watters 
Parent Reps: Kelsey Toppenberg, Anna Hume 
Primary (K-2nd) Reps: Morgan Leming (2nd) and Heidi Hansen (1st) 
Inter mediate (3rd-5th) Reps: Travis Peterson (3rd) and Jared Ogle (4th) 
Certified Specialists Rep: Brennan Buck 
SPED / RR Rep: Elisa McCulloch  
SAEOP Rep: Monica Ganyard 
Recorder: Rebecca Adamson  – Non Voting Attendee.  

Absent: none 


Teams Norms for BLT members:   

•Join with muted microphone.  

•Turn your video camera on so we can see each other.   

•Raise your hand when you would like to talk? – Identify yourself when you speak.  

•Be respectful and courteous in chat. 

Agenda: 

  • Enrollment Projections / Budget & Staffing Process 
  • Prides of March 
  • Misc 

Enrollment / Budget & Staffing Process 

  • We are scheduled to be down about 38 students for the 22-23 school year. That could be at least 1 homeroom teacher and a drop to 2.5 PCP.  
  • Our challenges are losing our large 5th grade class and having smaller classes in 2nd, 3rd, 4th . 
  • Typically Whittier’s enrollment stays pretty steady.  
  • We may need to have some difficult conversations around splits and creative solutions due to the smaller numbers. 
  • The PTA is in the process of deciding whether or not they will be considering funding any positions.  

Prides of March 

  • What are some ways we can energize student leadership? 
    • Acts of service 
      • Community building, activism, leadership, earth friendly: composting/recycling/trash 
    • Spirit days (things that can be low stress for teachers) 
      • Dress up days / door decorating contest (supported by parent volunteers) / classroom color days / etc.  
  • Student groups could have a weekly drive to support a homeless community in our area. Pair grade levels to work together. 
    • One group in the area that could receive supports is a Women’s Housing Equality / Tent City 3. There is another tiny house village in North Seattle as another option. 
    • The BLT supports the idea of connecting with one of these communities. They felt it was a concrete way to help our neighbors as well as build awareness and create agency among our students 

Misc 

  • PTA has been researching artwork to decorate the fences along the playground. Brennan has also worked with students and would be happy to partner with this project. 

12/06/2021 BLT Meeting Minutes

BLT Meeting Minutes

Invited/Members:  
Principal: Cindy Watters 
Parent Reps: Kelsey Toppenberg, Anna Hume 
Primary (K-2nd) Reps: Morgan Leming (2nd) and Heidi Hansen (1st) 
Inter mediate (3rd-5th) Reps: Travis Peterson (3rd) and Jared Ogle (4th) 
Certified Specialists Rep: Brennan Buck 
SPED / RR Rep: Elisa McCulloch  
SAEOP Rep: Monica Ganyard 
Recorder: Rebecca Adamson – Non-Voting Attendee.  

Absent: none 


Teams Norms for BLT members:   

  • Join with muted microphone.  
  • Turn your video camera on so we can see each other.   
  • Raise your hand when you would like to talk? – Identify yourself when you speak.  
  • Be respectful and courteous in chat. 

Agenda: 

  •  Playground door follow up 
  • Vaccine follow up 
  • Winter Lunch plan 
  • Budget preparation – we need to design a survey for staff to share priorities 

Check ins leading up to winter break 

Playground door follow up 

  •  To add a key card to the breezeway door, it will cost $8000.00. We will look into rekeying / adding a lock to the door with a non-electronic option. 

Vaccine follow up 

  •  We were not able to hold our vaccine clinic due to lack of vaccines that were delivered to Ballard Pediatrics. As of last Wednesday, 83% of Whittier students have had at least one vaccine shot. 

Winter Lunch plan 

  •  As the weather turns, remind students to wear coats to lunch/recess. After winter break, we may need to have one grade level inside the cafeteria and one grade level outside at tables, rotating the two each week. 

Budget preparation – we need to design a survey for staff to share priorities 

  •  Haven’t heard of any big changes to the budget for next year. Anticipating our enrollment going up a little next year, but not expecting staffing to change much. Will likely get our allocation the week after mid-winter break. 
  •  It would be a huge shift if PTA did not fund a position. Having an all-staff discussion will be helpful in making a plan. We will start with a survey, talk to PTA, come up with a couple proposals and have open door meetings to make sure everyone has a chance to ask their questions. 

Misc. 

  •  February 10th will be a New Family Information Night – more info on this will be coming soon…. 
  • We will send out a form to families in January asking about their plans for next year to help us plan internally. 

Next meeting: Monday, Jan 3rd 2:45 

11/02/2021 BLT Meeting Minutes

Invited/Members:  
Principal: Cindy Watters 
Parent Reps: Kelsey Toppenberg, Anna Hume 
Primary (K-2nd) Reps: Morgan Leming (2nd) and Heidi Hansen (1st) 
Intermediate (3rd-5th) Reps: Travis Peterson (3rd) and Jared Ogle (4th) 
Certified Specialists Rep: Brennan Buck 
SPED / RR Rep: Elisa McCulloch  
SAEOP Rep: Monica Ganyard 
Recorder: Rebecca Adamson – Non Voting Attendee.  

Absent: All present!


Teams Norms for BLT members:   

  • Join with muted microphone.  
  • Turn your video camera on so we can see each other.   
  • Raise your hand when you would like to talk? – Identify yourself when you speak.  
  • Be respectful and courteous in chat. 

Agenda: 

  • Behavior Tracker 
  • Discuss how to get playground doors to open with key cards 

Check Ins – What is one thing you are thankful for? 

Behavior Tracker 

A simple way to get data on student’s behavior using Microsoft Forms. To be used for big behaviors or if a student has to be removed from class. This will not replace calling the office in case of emergency. 

Discuss how to get playground doors to open with key cards 

Cindy will reach out to facilities to see how we can make this happen. 

Next meeting is scheduled for: December 6th at 2:45

10/04/2021 BLT Meeting Minutes

Invited/Members:  
Principal: Cindy Watters 
Parent Reps: Kelsey Toppenberg, Anna Hume 
Primary (K-2nd) Reps: Morgan Leming (2nd) and Heidi Hansen (1st) 
Intermediate (3rd-5th) Reps: Travis Peterson (3rd) and Jared Ogle (4th) 
Certified Specialists Rep: Brennan Buck 
SPED / RR Rep: Elisa McCulloch  
SAEOP Rep: Monica Ganyard 
Recorder: Rebecca Adamson – Non Voting Attendee.  

Absent: ALL PRESENT! 


Teams Norms for BLT members:   

  • Join with muted microphone.  
  • Turn your video camera on so we can see each other.   
  • Raise your hand when you would like to talk? – Identify yourself when you speak.  
  • Be respectful and courteous in chat. 

The BLT discussed the October 8th TRI Day Agenda Proposal and agreed that the proposed agenda will move forward for this week’s TRI Day.

The Elementary Stipend Recommendations were approved to support our Assessment Coordinator and Safety Patrol leads, leaving a remainder of the stipend left over to use for another purpose in the future.

The BLT agreed to move forward with rolling over the Sub Reimbursement Plan from the 19-20 school year.

There was a discussion about how to best use HEPA Filters. Each classroom will be receiving a filter and best placement will be determined per recommendations.

Tech Expectations have not yet been resolved by the district. Practices will not change until further notice.

Classroom seating charts were brought up as a way to help with Contact Tracing. Teachers will submit seating charts to Principal Watters electronically.

Principal Watters will reshare information COVID Testing information with families so they know how they can get tested at school sites.


Next BLT meeting:  
November 1st at 2:45 

09/13/2021 BLT Meeting Minutes

Facilitator: Cindy Watters 

Temperature Check:  Morgan Leming – Is everyone having an opportunity to participate?  How are people feeling?   

On Task: Keep us moving through the agenda  

Recorder: Rebecca Adamson – Non Voting Attendee.  

Invited/Members:  
Parent Reps: Kelsey Toppenberg, Anna Hume 
Primary (K-2nd) Reps: Morgan Leming (2nd) and Heidi Hansen (1st) 
Intermediate (3rd-5th) Reps: Travis Peterson (3rd) and Jared Ogle (4th) 
Certified Specialists Rep: Brennan Buck 
SPED / RR Rep: Elisa McCulloch  
SAEOP Rep: Monica Ganyard 

Absent: Jared Ogle 


Teams Norms for BLT members:   

  • Join with muted microphone.  
  • Turn your video camera on so we can see each other.   
  • Raise your hand when you would like to talk? – Identify yourself when you speak.  
  • Be respectful and courteous in chat. 

There was a discussion about changing the Wednesday Schedule to allow for 5 more minutes of PCP time. That would give each student 35 minutes each Wednesday to see their specialists. The BLT agreed this would benefit both students and staff. The new schedule will go into effect on 9/15/21.

The BLT made plans for Curriculum Night. It will be a virtual event, held on Wednesday, October 13th, from 7:00-8:30. The evening will start with a 20-30 min presentation from primary teachers, then 20-30 minutes with Principal Watters, who will introduce our specialists and talk about our school, then finish with a 20-30 min presentation from the intermediate teachers. This event will be recorded and shared with families that can’t attend.


Next BLT meeting:  
October 4th at 2:45