Closed School Street for Walking and Biking to Whittier
Walking and Biking to Whittier
What is a School Street?
School Streets are open for people walking, rolling, and biking, and closed to pass through traffic, including parents. The goals are to:
- provide social distancing space for daily attestation at school start times
- reduce traffic congestion in front of schools
- encourage families to walk or bike to school or park a few blocks away and walk
When is a School Street in effect?
School Streets are in effect 7 a.m. – 5 p.m. on school days.
With the designation of School Streets, it becomes okay to walk in the street to keep 6 feet apart.
How can I use a School Street when taking my child to and from school?
- When possible, walk, roll, or bike with your child to school
- If you must drive to school, try parking 1 block away and finishing the trip on foot
- Students provided with district transportation or with mobility needs can access the block